The City of Buckeye Youth Council consists of up to 19 members from high schools, junior high schools, charter schools, and home school students from across the City of Buckeye.
The mission of the Buckeye's Youth Council (BYC) is to empower young leaders and help develop and cultivate effective leadership skills. To do so, the BYC focuses on three critical areas of leadership development: Character, Community and Communication.
The City of Buckeye Youth Council will offer an opportunity to bring out those leadership traits that exist in our youth. These character traits are values that constitute great leadership and will comprise the foundation of our leadership training. They include honesty, integrity, vision, caring, confidence, responsibility, equity, and loyalty. Development of these characteristics will carry over life skills that will benefit our youth as successful leaders and team builders, in all their future endeavors.
The City of Buckeye Youth Council will offer the opportunity for youth to take on meaningful roles in addressing relevant community issues through the application of community initiatives and projects. These opportunities will help cultivate the understanding and importance of active community participation.
Effective communication is what brings everything together. Through leadership training, team building, project development and management, conflict management, and networking opportunities, the City of Buckeye Youth Council will develop effective communication skills. Whether it is in a debate format, one-on-one, small groups, or a public speaking engagement to a large audience, those whom can effectively communicate their position and articulate their goals and viewpoints in a clear and concise manner, will gain the respect and support of their team, their community, and will effectively move an initiative forward.
What We Do:
Buckeye Youth Council members will have opportunities to plan and participate in a variety of projects.
- Meet twice a month on the first and third Thursday of the month from 6:00-7:30 PM at Buckeye City Hall.
- Assist with identifying important issues for the youth of Buckeye
- Volunteer at community events
- Become positive role models through responsible leadership
- Attend a variety of field trips and leadership conferences throughout the year
Applications are currently being accepted through May 8th, 2018 for the 2018-2019 school year.
Please complete the BYC application and email it to email@example.com or drop the application off at City Hall.
Requirements for Consideration:
- Must attend a school in the City of Buckeye or be a Buckeye resident
- Must be in 8th-12th grade in the 2018-2019 school year
- Must have a willingness to learn and to participate in meetings
- Applicants will be contacted for an in-person interview
Follow Us on Facebook and Instagram