PILOTS FLYING IN THE VICINITY OF BUCKEYE MUNICIPAL AIRPORT (KBXK) DURING THE BUCKEYE AIR FAIR
Buckeye Air Fair will be held at the Buckeye Municipal Airport (BXK) Saturday, February 9-10, 2019.
The Air Fair is expected to generate an unusually high volume of VFR traffic in the vicinity of KBXK. Since this airspace is routinely subject to intensive student training activity, the amount of VFR traffic concentrated in a relatively small area will be extremely high; consequently, pilots are urged to exercise extreme caution when conducting operations in this area.
There will NOT be any special arrival/departure procedures in effect during the Air Fair. Pilots operating to, from, and in the vicinity of Buckeye Municipal Airport during this period should follow standard recommended practices for operations at non-towered airports, utilizing CTAF (122.975). Pilots should exercise extreme caution for heavy traffic in the area.
Expect an airspace closure between 11:00L and 12:30L for the Airshow performances. No arrivals or departures will be permitted between these times.
- Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station
- Training areas
- Alert Areas
- Military Training Routes
Nearby airports for diversions if necessary:
- Phoenix Goodyear (KGYR 15 NM E)
- Glendale (KGEU ~18 NM ENE)
- Gila Bend (E63 28 NM S)
- Wickenburg (E25 32 NM N)
VFR Loiter points if needed due to delays:
- Arlington (~7 SW of airport)
- Buckeye Hills (~9 S of airport: peak 1952)
- Pierce (~6 SE of airport)
- Tonapah Truck Stop (~ 12 WNW of airport along I10)
- Gila Compressor (~12 SW of airport beyond Arlington)
- Proving Grounds (~12 N of BXK VORTAC)
VFR Departure recommendations:
- Monitor AWOS before engine start 119.625 or 623-386-7627
- Advise ground safety personnel of departure readiness and start engine after they clear area.
- Often best departure path will be the internal east taxiway south to TXY A then to RWY 35 or via TXY H to RWY 17 based on wind.