The security of the City of Buckeye depends greatly on citizen involvement. No Illinois law enforcement agency can effectively protect life and property without the support and cooperation of the citizens they serve. The Buckeye Police Department needs your help in countering terrorism. Much like our Neighborhood Watch program, we ask you to be our eyes and ears. Reporting of suspicious activity can help disrupt the terrorist planning cycle. Terrorists are trained to "blend in" and assimilate to their surroundings. Most terrorist's acts are well organized and well planned. Terrorists will conduct training, surveillance and "dry runs" prior to commission of a terrorist act. They like to strike at government and civilian targets in an effort to instill fear. Although it is the intent of the terrorist to instill fear in you, it is your vigilance that the terrorist fears most. Reports can be made any time by dialing 911.
When recording the essential details utilize the following guide:
- Who did I observe?
- Where did I observe the specific behavior?
- When did I observe the specific behavior?
- Why do I think the behavior is suspicious?
There are 3 elements in reporting a description to the police:
- Accuracy ( most important)
Tips on Giving a Description for a Person
- Age (approximate)
- Height (approximate)
- Weight (approximate; use 10-pound blocks)
- Build (medium, heavyset, thin, etc.)
- Hair (color, length, include facial hair)
- Complexion (light, dark, ruddy, olive. etc.)
- Eyes (color, glasses)
- Peculiarities (scars, tattoos, missing limbs, etc.)
- Clothing (from head to toe, style, defects)
- Weapons (if any)
For a Vehicle
- Year, make and model
- Body type (2 door, 4 door, van, SUV, etc.)
- Passengers (number of people in vehicle)
- License Plate (most important)
- Damage or anything unusual (logos, etc.) - Color
We Need You To
- Remain alert and be aware of everyday activities in your neighborhood. Take notice of unusual behavior.
- Report any unattended backpacks, suitcases or packages left in inappropriate locations.
- Encourage the involvement of family, friends and neighbors.
- Take precautions when traveling. Do not accept packages from strangers. Do not leave luggage unattended.
- Learn where emergency exits and stairways are located.
- Think about how to evacuate a building or congested public area in a hurry.
- Be aware of what is going on around you at home and while you are away.
Suspicious Activity - In the event you become aware of suspicious activity:
- Do not take direct action
- Do not confront the individual
- Do not reveal your suspicions
- Do record as many details as possible
- Do notify the appropriate authorities as soon as possible.
- Do become involved in Neighborhood Watch. Neighbors working together with police and other emergency personnel, observing and reporting incidents, conditions and crime in their neighborhoods.